Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Personal Reading Profile

 My relationship with and memories of reading are not exactly the average experience. For one, my mom is a high school English teacher, so I had assigned reading lists even over summer vacation. But the major factor was that I spent a lot of time in hospital rooms as a child and teen. My go-bags always included a book or two because I knew my entertainment alternatives were daytime soap operas or health magazines. Consequently, there are very few genres that I haven’t read or aren’t familiar with, and I don’t consider myself a picky reader. 

Because of this, I think it’s easier to decide what I’m not going to read as compared to what I will read next. Westerns, romance, and biographies are the genres I read the least, but I wouldn’t say that I don’t like them. I think the introduction in our textbook makes a fantastic point in saying that we need to “recognize the novel’s specific appeals while at the same time considering its various genre appeals in their broadest conception” (17). Even though I don’t necessarily go looking for a western or romance, I don’t mind when elements of those genres find their way into the other genres I’m reading. 


Favorite Authors/Poets

Willa Cather

Billy Collins

Brian Jacques

Sofie Kelly

V. E. Schwab

William Shakespeare

Samantha Shannon

Simone St. James

John Steinbeck

Kurt Vonnegut


Favorite Books/Works/Series

Black Beauty

The Book Thief

The Cartographers

Curses, Boiled Again

Heirs of the Force

If We Were Villains

Legendborn

A Little Princess

Macbeth

Nancy Drew

Redwall

Symphony for the City of the Dead


Top TBRs

America Fantastica - Tim O’Brien

A Fever in the Heartland: The Ku Klux Klan’s Plot to Take Over America and the Women who Stopped Them - Timothy Egan

The Fifth Season - N. K. Jemisin

Ghosts of the Orphanage: A Story of Mysterious Deaths, a Conspiracy of Silence, and a Search for Justice - Christine Kenneally

Gwen & Art Are Not in Love - Lex Croucher

Half Sick of Shadows - Laura Sebastian

Little Miseries - Kimberly Olson Fakih

The Mask of Mirrors - M. A. Carrick



3 comments:

  1. Hi Emma,
    My mom’s mom was a high school English teacher. Reading seems to run in families. She had me read The Root Cellar by Janet Lunn. It is a historical fiction book for tweens.
    If you like Steinbeck, you’ve probably read The Pearl, Of Mice and Men, and The Grapes of Wrath. Have you ever read Tortilla Flat? If you like books that describe landscapes and environments in great detail, you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma. I read a lot as child too. My parents worked third shift and slept all day. During the summer breaks reading was my only form of entertainment. Hope you have a good semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent reading profile! Sorry you spent so much time in hospital rooms but I am so glad books were able to keep you company!

    ReplyDelete

Prompt Response 15

What do you think are the best ways to market your library's fiction collection? Name and describe three ways you do or would like to ma...